Salads are available in most convenience stores in Japan, but what about salad dressing? It’s difficult to find vegan dressing in convenience store salads/sachets and restaurants in Japan, but supermarkets do have a good selection of possibly vegan choices. It can be a good idea to carry your own salad dressing with you. Choose something that does not need refrigeration, such as balsamic vinegar. Below are some dressings that may be vegan, but if you want to be sure, an easy option is to use balsamic vinegar.
Family Mart’s Japanese-style dressing/和風ドレッシング and Japanese-style low-salt dressing/減塩和風ドレッシング appear to possibly be vegan. They are available in single-size serving packets near the salads. The other single-serving dressing packets at Family Mart are not vegan.
• Family Mart Japanese-style Dressing/ファミリーマート 和風ドレッシング. Ingredients: Sugar, vegetable fats and oils, soy sauce, brewed vinegar, onion, amino acids etc., salt, roasted onion paste, dried red pepper/seasoning (amino acids etc.), polysaccharide thickener, spice extract, flavourings. (Product contains wheat and soy.)
• Family Mart Japanese-style Low-salt Dressing/ファミリーマート 減塩和風ドレッシング. Ingredients: Vegetable fats and oils (contains soy), sugars (sugar, high-fructose corn syrup), brewed vinegar, soy sauce (contains wheat), processed soy sauce product (pure brew soy sauce), dried onion chips, rice fermented seasoning, processed olive product, salt, roasted onion, red bell pepper/seasoning, inorganic salt etc., thickener (xanthan), polyglutamic acid, iron gluconate. Product contains wheat and soy.
7-11 and Natural Lawson convenience stores currently don’t have any vegan dressings in single-sized packets.
Almost all Kewpie salad dressings aren’t vegan. First, below are the ones that contain animal products.
Standard dressing range (ドレッシング):
- Japanese soy sesame dressing (milk and chicken) – 和風醤油ごま入
- French dressing (white) (egg) – フレンチ(白)
- Italian dressing (chicken) – イタリアン
- Thousand Island dressing (egg) – １０００アイランド
- Coleslaw dressing (egg) – コールスロー
- Deep-roasted sesame dressing (egg) – 深煎りごま
- Five vegetable dressing (egg) – ５種の野菜
- Chinese dressing (chicken, milk and scallop) – 中華
- Onion French dressing (egg, milk, chicken, fish and pork) – オニオンフレンチ
- Grated onion dressing (milk, chicken and pork) – すりおろしオニオン
- Coarse ground black pepper dressing (chicken and milk) – 粗挽き黒こしょう
- Basil dressing (cheese) – バジル
- Caesar salad dressing (cheese, egg and fish) – シーザーサラダ
- Buttermilk ranch dressing (milk and egg) – バターミルクランチ
Tasty dressing range (テイスティドレッシング):
- Seasoned cod roe dressing (fish, egg and cochineal) – 明太子
- Italian dressing (pork and egg) – イタリアン
- Sesame peanut dressing (egg) – 胡麻 こく味（ピーナッツ入り）
- Basil and cheese (egg and milk) – バジル＆チーズ
- Cobb salad (egg and milk) – コブサラダ
Refreshing taste range (味わいすっきりドレッシング):
- Shiso dressing (milk and scallop) – しそ
- Yuzu dressing (fish) – ゆず
- Salt sesame dressing (fish, chicken and milk) – 塩ごま
The following Kewpie dressings are potentially vegan, although again they contain amino acid and other flavourings that may be animal derived.
• Kewpie Standard Dressing – French (separate) (フレンチドレッシング（セパレート）). Ingredients: Brewing vinegar, vegetable oil, high-fructose corn syrup, salt, seasoning (amino acids), thickener (xanthan gum), spice extracts, flavouring (contains soy).
• Kewpie Tasty Dressing – Black vinegar onion (テイスティドレッシング 黒酢たまねぎ). Ingredients: Vinegar (brewing vinegar, barley black vinegar), onion, edible vegetable oil, soy sauce, sugar, fermented rice seasoning, salt, onion extract, seasoning (amino acids), thickener (modified starch, xanthan gum), mustard, onion extract powder, sweetener (stevia), spice extract, acidulant (contains wheat and apple). Note: list of ingredients taken from Kewpie website.
• Kewpie Tasty Dressing – Japanese flavour onion (テイスティドレッシング 和風 香味玉葱). Ingredients: Edible vegetable oil, vinegar, onion, sugar, soy sauce, salt, olives, green pepper, seasoning (amino acids), flavoured edible oil, onion extract powder, spice extracts, thickener (xanthan gum, modified starch), spices, sweetener (stevia), iron gluconate (contains wheat and apple). Note: list of ingredients taken from Kewpie website.
• Kewpie Refreshing Taste Dressing – Lemon (味わいすっきり レモンドレッシング). Ingredients: Vinegar (vinegar, lemon vinegar), salt, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, edible vegetable oil, flavoring, seasoning (amino acids), spices, acidulant, thickener (xanthan gum), sweetener (sucralose) (contains apple and soy). Note: list of ingredients taken from Kewpie website.
• Kewpie Choregi Salad Dressing/キユーピーチョレギサラダドレッシング. Ingredients: Domestically produced edible vegetable oil, sugars (glucose fructose liquid sugar, sugar), brewed vinegar, salt, Welsh onion, garlic paste, sesame, soy sauce, miso, kombu seaweed stock, spices, laver, edible flavored oil, seasoning (amino acids, etc.), thickener (xanthan gum, spice extracts). Contains wheat, sesame, and soy.
A rich taste with plenty of umami and sesame oil, onion, and garlic.
Kewpie Mango Dressing
Chigiri Lettuce Dressing
Daisho Tataki Kyuuri no Tare.
Kurashiki Kousen is locally made in Kurashiki City, Okayama and can be bought at supermarkets in the area or ordered online.
Photo from the Kurashiki Kousen website.
Brown Sugar 1st. dressing is very tasty. It’s sold in some branches of Natural Lawson (not regular Lawson), as well as on the Brown Sugar 1st. website.
• Brown Sugar 1st. Organic Spice Dressing. Ingredients: Organic edible vegetable oil (organic canola oil, organic coconut oil) organic coconut sugar, organic brewed vinegar (organic spirit vinegar, organic white grape vinegar), organic onion, table salt, organic tomato, organic garlic, curry powder (coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder), organic spices (organic black pepper, organic cloves, organic nutmeg, organic laurel).
Uses organic coconut oil. Does not use chemical seasoning, emulsifier, or white sugar. Does not taste of coconut oil, so even those who aren’t coconut fans can enjoy this product. Meant to have a curry-like taste and stimulate the appetite, thus helping to increase vegetable intake. Does not freeze even if stored in the refrigerator.