The offshoot of Lawson convenience stores called Natural Lawson is probably the best convenience store for vegans. Although a few products from Natural Lawson can be found in regular Lawson stores, it’s worth it to go to Natural Lawson if there are any near you. Natural Lawson stores are currently located in the following areas: Chiba Prefecture, Saitama Prefecture, Kanagawa Prefecture, and Tokyo. Not all products below can be found at all stores.
• Fukagawa Oil &Fat Company, Ltd. Hokkaido Potato Chips, Salt Taste/深川油脂工業 北海道ポテトチップス うす塩味. Ingredients: Domestically produced non-gmo potatoes, vegetable fats & oils, salt.
Products containing dairy, wheat, shrimp, and crab are also produced in the same factory.
• Producer Potato Chips, Salted/生産者限定ポテトチップス うすしお. Ingredients: Potatoes (not genetically modified), vegetable fats and oils, salt.
Processed alongside products containing wheat, milk, egg, shrimp, and crab.
Limited edition product. Uses only potatoes from Hokkaido. Potatoes are individually checked and in some cases, hand-cut with a knife to make sure there are no green parts inside. No chemical seasoning is used.
• Temole Almond Chips, Barbecue and Sea Salt.
Barbecue: Ingredients: Almonds, white beans, almond oil, onion powder, tomato powder, paprika, chili, sea salt. Sea Salt: Ingredients: Almonds, white beans, almond oil, sea salt.
For both products: Product contains almonds. Made in a facility that also handles: Milk.
Oven baked, gluten-free. Made in Thailand. The Sour Cream flavour of this product (not pictured) is not vegan as it has dairy.
• Natural Lawson Calbee Vegips Fried Yam, Lotus Root and Sweet Potato/ベジップス3種の根菜 長いも・れんこん・さつまいも Ingredients: Lotus root, yam, sweet potato, vegetable oil.
These chips don’t use sugar or salt and let you taste the natural flavors of the root vegetables.
• Natural Lawson Calbee Vegips Sweet Potato Carrot Pumpkin/ベジップスさつまいもにんじんかぼちゃ. Ingredients: Sweet potatoes, carrot, pumpkin, vegetable oil.
These chips don’t use sugar or salt and let you taste the natural sweetness of the vegetables.
• Natural Lawson Potato Chips fried in Olive Oil/オリーブオイルで揚げたポテトチップス. Ingredients: Potato (not genetically modified), olive oil, salt (100% Italian sun-dried salt used).
Made in the same factory as items containing wheat, eggs, dairy, shrimp, and crab.
These excellent potato chips are available at Lawson and Natural Lawson convenience stores.
• Natural Lawson Sweet Potato Chips/種子島産安納芋チップス. Ingredients: Sweet potato (100% annou imo from Tanegashima), vegetable oil.
Manufactured in the same factory as items containing wheat, egg, dairy, shrimp, and crab.
These sweet potato chips are available at Lawson and Natural Lawson. They use “annou imo,” a special type of potato with a high sugar content and orange-hued flesh, which is grown on Tanegashima, an island located to the south of Kyushu.
SWEET POTATO STICKS
These sweet potato sticks are very filling.
• Organically cultivated dried potato stick/有機栽培の干し芋スティック. Ingredients: Organically cultivated sweet potato (satsumaimo).
• Macrobiotic Cookies/かぼちゃのマクロビオティッククッキー. Ingredients: Wheat, beet sugar syrup, rapeseed oil, pumpkin powder, beet sugar, salt. All ingredients except the rapeseed oil are domestically produced.
Biokura macrobiotic cookies are available in a variety of seasonal flavors.
Natural Lawson convenience stores currently don’t have any vegan dressings in single-sized packets.
The Brown Sugar 1st dressing in bottles is very tasty.
• Brown Sugar 1st. Organic Spice Dressing. Ingredients: Organic edible vegetable oil (organic canola oil, organic coconut oil) organic coconut sugar, organic brewed vinegar (organic spirit vinegar, organic white grape vinegar), organic onion, table salt, organic tomato, organic garlic, curry powder (coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder), organic spices (organic black pepper, organic cloves, organic nutmeg, organic laurel).
Uses organic coconut oil. Does not use chemical seasoning, emulsifier, or white sugar. Does not taste of coconut oil, so even those who aren’t coconut fans can enjoy this product. Meant to have a curry-like taste and stimulate the appetite, thus helping to increase vegetable intake. Does not freeze even if stored in the refrigerator.
• Brown Sugar 1st. Organic Applesauce. Ingredients: Organic apples.
Made by the same company in charge of the Chaya Macrobiotics restaurants and offering a variety of products, including soy keema, bean and vegetable curries.
• Kewpie Verde Vegetable Bar, Refreshing Berry/キューピー ヴェルデ 野菜ぎっしりバー さわやかベリー. Ingredients: Dried fried vegetables (potatoes, edamame, carrots), dried sugar-pickled fruits (cranberries, pineapple), reduced starch syrup, oats, roasted coconut, barley, dried mashed potatoes, chia seeds, lemon juice powder, wheat flour, glycerin, trehalose, thickener (gum arabic), antioxidant (vitamin E, vitamin C), acidulant. (Product includes soybeans)
Product manufactured on common equipment with items containing egg, dairy, orange, cashew nuts, sesame, and apple.
• Organic Cereal Bar with Organic Raisins & Organic Walnuts/有機シリアルバー/レーズン・クルミ. Ingredients: Organic oats (America), organic wheat flour, organic sugar, organic palm oil, organic raisins, organic walnuts, starch syrup (produced in Japan), salt.
Manufactured in the same factory as products containing dairy, eggs, peanuts, and shrimp.
Slim Bite bars are marked as having no genetically modified ingredients, no milk, no sugar, no sweeteners, (except for a small amount in the chocolate in the mint chocolate version), gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan in Japanese on the display. Flavors are mint chocolate, coconut, raspberry, and orange.
• Slim Bite Bar, Mint Chocolate. Ingredients: Dates, raisins, cocoa, dark chocolate, cinnamon, mint.
• Slim Bite Bar, Coconut. Ingredients: Dates, coconut, dried apricots, coconut extract.
• Slim Bite Bar, Raspberry. Ingredients: Dates, cranberries, apples, raspberries, cloves.
• Slim Bite Bar, Orange. Ingredients: Dates, apples, raisins, cinnamon, orange extract.
• Raw Sugar Taste Mixed Nuts/黒糖ナッツ&ナッツ アーモンド・くるみ. Ingredients: Brown sugar almonds (almonds from Australia, processed brown sugar, Japanese brown sugar syrup, salt), brown sugar walnuts (walnuts from America, processed brown sugar, Japanese brown sugar syrup, salt). Product contains walnuts.
Uses kuromitsu and kokuto. Contains 8.9 grams of carbohydrates and 2.9 g of dietary fiber in one bag.
Processed in the same facilities as products containing peanuts, wheat, dairy, and shrimp.
People Tree, the fair-trade company, makes a line of chocolates marked “vegie.” The Japanese warning on the package saying “contains dairy as part of ingredients” has been confirmed, in this case, to be a cross-contamination warning meaning these chocolates are processed on the same line as items containing dairy. Small particles of dairy may be present in these chocolates as a result.
The “vegie” flavors of chocolate you may find at Natural Lawson are Bitter Lemon Peel, Bitter Pomegranate, Organic Bitter, Organic Coconut Milk, Peru 75.
Other chocolates without the “vegie” label from the same line contain dairy as an ingredient.
• People Tree Fair Trade Bar Chocolate, Bitter Lemon Peel/ピープルツリー フェアトレードチョコ・板チョコ・オーガニック ビター・レモンピール. Ingredients: Organic cocoa mass, organic sugar, organic cocoa butter, organic starch syrup powder, organic lemon peel / lemon flavor. (Contains dairy as part of ingredients.) Organic JAS certification. Manufactured with common equipment with products including wheat, peanuts, oranges, cashew nuts, and rice.
• People Tree Fair Trade Bar Chocolate, Bitter Pomegranate/ピープルツリー フェアトレードチョコ・板チョコ・オーガニック ビター・ザクロ. Ingredients: Organic cocoa mass, organic crude sugar, organic pomegranate jelly (organic pomegranate juice, organic apple juice, organic rice flour), organic cocoa butter / vanilla flavor, thickener (pectin). (Contains dairy as part of ingredients.) Organic JAS certification. Manufactured with common equipment with products including wheat, peanuts, oranges, cashew nuts, and rice.
• People Tree Fair Trade Bar Chocolate, Organic Bitter/ピープルツリー フェアトレードチョコ・板チョコ・オーガニック・ビター. Ingredients: Organic cocoa mass, organic brown sugar, organic crude sugar, organic cocoa butter. (Contains dairy as part of ingredients.) Organic JAS certification. Manufactured with common equipment with products including wheat, peanuts, oranges, cashew nuts, and rice.
• People Tree Fair Trade Bar Chocolate, Organic Coconut Milk/ピープルツリー フェアトレードチョコ・板チョコ・オーガニック ココナッツミルク. Ingredients: Organic coconut sugar, organic cocoa mass, organic cocoa butter, organic coconut flakes, organic coconut milk powder / vanilla flavor. (Contains dairy as part of ingredients.) Organic JAS certification. Manufactured on common equipment with products including wheat, peanuts, oranges, cashew nuts, and rice.
• People Tree Fair Trade Bar Chocolate, Peru 75/ピープルツリー フェアトレードチョコ・板チョコ・オーガニック ペルー７５. Ingredients: Organic cocoa mass, organic crude sugar, organic cocoa butter/vanilla flavor. (Contains dairy as part of ingredients.) Organic JAS certification. Manufactured on common equipment with products including wheat, peanuts, oranges, cashew nuts, and rice.
Some branches will have Vivani chocolates marked in English as vegan on the package. The Japanese warning that makes it look like they have dairy on the back means, in this case, that small particles of dairy may be present due to processing, not that dairy was used as an ingredient. Here are some of the flavours you might find at Natural Lawson.
• Vivani Black Cherry. Ingredients: Cocoa mass*, raw cane sugar*, cocoa butter*, sour cherry crisp* 3,5 % (sour cherry puree*, apple puree concentrate*, sour cherry juice concentrate*, lemon juice concentrate*) Cocoa solids: 62% min.* from organic agriculture certified by (DE-ÖKO-013). May contain components of other shell fruits, milk and gluten.
From Vivani’s website: “Dark Chocolate with Sour Cherry Crisp. Sour, fruity, aromatic. Delicate juicy but crunchy pieces of sour cherry find a perfect contrast in the intensive South American organic cocoa. A duet that appeals to all senses.”
• Vivani Crispy Corn Flakes. Ingredients: Raw cane sugar*, cocoa butter*, rice drink powder* (rice syrup*, dried) 13%, cocoa mass*, cornflakes* 7 % (corn*, raw cane sugar*, sea salt), tiger nuts* (ground), hazelnut paste*, bourbon vanilla extract*, sea salt.
cocoa solids: 37 % min. * from organic agriculture May contain components of other tree nuts and milk.
From the Vivani website: “Crunchy vegan “milk chocolate” bar with rice drink instead of milk, refined with brittle cornflakes. Not just for vegans! 5 Cent Logo for Haiti
As part of the VIVANI ‘KIDS for KIDS’ campaign against child labour, 5 cents per bar are donated to the Ecole Amitié (‘School of Friendship’) in Haiti. This provides street children access to education, food and hygiene.”
• Vivani Rice Choc 40% Cacao. Ingredients: Ingredients: raw cane sugar*, cocoa butter*, cocoa mass*, rice drink powder* (rice syrup*, dried) 15 %, hazelnut paste*, bourbon vanilla extract*. Cocoa solids: 40 % minimum. * from organic agriculture certified by (DE-ÖKO-013) May contain components of other shell fruits, milk and gluten.
From Vivani’s website: “Trendy snack for vegan chocolate lovers as an ideal alternative to common “milk” chocolates! Instead of milk powder with vegan rice drink powder. Tastes like normal milk chocolate, thus attractive for “non vegans”, too.
The vegan restaurant chain T’s makes instant vegan cup noodles in two flavors:
• T’s Noodle Vegan Tantan Noodle Soup Ingredients: Noodles (flour, salt, soybean dietary fiber), soup (sesame, salt, sugar, vegetable fat, miso, onion powder, yeast extract, chili bean sauce, spice, protein hydrolyzate, flavor oil, shiitake extract), condiments (sesame, granulated soybean protein, corn, bok choy, red pepper), thickener (processed starch, guar gum), lye water, caramel pigment, antioxidant (vitamin E), acidulant, capsicum pigment, spice extract.
• T’s Noodle Hot and Sour Noodle Soup Ingredients: Noodles (flour, salt, soybean dietary fiber), soup (soy sauce, sugar, salt, brewed vinegar, vegetable oil and fat, miso, spices, yeast extract, garlic paste, flavor oil, shiitake mushroom extract, kelp powder), condiments (cabbage, tomato, granular soybean protein, red pepper), lye water, thickener (guar gum), caramel colorant, antioxidant (vitamin E), spice extract, capsicum pigment. (Product includes sesame.)
Both flavors use non-fried noodles and use as few additives as possible.
Like other convenience stores, Natural Lawson shops will typically have a variety of fresh, frozen, and dried fruits.
• Apple Sweets/アップルスイーツ. Ingredients: apples (grown in Japan), trehalose, antioxidant (Vitamin C), calcium carbonate. These are prepeeled, sliced apples.
Tropical Maria frozen fruit in a cup comes in Grapes, Blueberries, Golden Pineapple, and Mango, with no additional ingredients.
NON-DAIRY MILKS AND COFFEES
Individual Natural Lawson branches may have a great deal of non-dairy milk or not much. Here are some of the products you might see. Products may contain ingredients that are not confirmed vegan such as flavorings and emulsifiers. Check our Dairy Alternatives page for more detailed information.
All varieties of 137 degrees milk listed below say suitable for vegans and lactose intolerant, no soy content, dairy free, carrageenan free, gluten-free, and low sodium on the package.
• 137 degrees Almond Milk/137ディグリーズ アーモンドミルク オリジナル. Ingredients: Almond milk, sunflower seeds, coconut flower nectar.
• 137 degrees Iced Coffee Latte/137ディグリーズ アーモンドミルク ラテ. Ingredients: Fresh almond milk 75% (from whole almonds grown in California, USA), espresso shot 20%, organic coconut flower nectar 5%.
• 137 degrees Matcha Green Tea Latte/137ディグリーズ ウォールナッツ抹茶ラテ. Ingredients: Walnut milk, sunflower seeds, matcha, coconut flower nectar.
• 137 degrees Walnut Milk/137ディグリーズ ウォールナッツミルクオリジナル. Ingredients: Walnut milk, sunflower seeds, coconut flower nectar.
• 137 degrees Double Belgian Chocolate with Pistachio Milk/137ディグリーズ ベルギーチョコピスタチオミルク. Ingredients: Fresh pistachio milk 60% (from whole pistachios), , cashew blend 36%, cocoa from Belgium 2%, organic coconut flower nectar 2%.
• 137 degrees Pistachio Milk/137ディグリーズ ピスタチオミルク オリジナル. Ingredients: Pistachio milk, cashew nut milk, sunflower seeds, coconut flower nectar.
Processed at 137 degrees for several seconds to preserve as much nutrition as possible and keep the beverage fresh. Sweetened with organic coconut nectar produced locally and sustainably in Thailand to help revitalize farming communities.
• Alameda Cold-Brew Coffee Company, Soy Milk Latte Cold Brew Coffee. Ingredients: Coffee, soymilk, sugar (Contains soybeans)
• Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Almond & Coconut/アーモンド・ブリーズ アーモンド＆ココナッツ. Ingredients: Sugar, almond paste, edible coconut oil, salt/calcium lactate, cellulose, potassium citrate, emulsifier, stabilizer (polysaccharide thickener), vitamin E, pH adjuster, flavourings.
• Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Chocolate Taste/アーモンド・ブリーズ チョコレートテイスト. Ingredients: Sugar, almond paste, cocoa powder, salt/calcium phosphate, potassium citrate, stabilizer (polysaccharide thickener), emulsifier, vitamin E, flavourings.
• Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Original/アーモンド・ブリーズ オリジナル. Ingredients (original variety): Sugar, almond paste, vegetable oil, salt/calcium phosphate, potassium citrate, stabilizer (thickening polysaccharide), emulsifier, vitamin E, flavouring.
• Elby Coconut Habits/エルビー ココナッツ習慣. Ingredients: Coconut milk, sugar, dietary fiber, soy protein, coconut oil, yeast extract powder/emulsifier, flavouring, sweetener (stevia), ferric pyrophosphate. (Includes soybeans.) 乳成分不使用/milk components not used is written on the package.
When asked if their flavouring and emulsifier were animal or vegetable derived and if their sugar was bone-char processed, they responded that they don’t use any animal products in the raw materials of this product.
• Marusan Co-Trip Black Sesame and Sweet Potato Soymilk Beverage/Marusan ことりっぷ 豆乳飲料 黒ごまさつま. Ingredients: Soybean (Canada) (not genetically modified), saccharides (sugar, millet jelly, fructose), vegetable oil, salt, sesame paste, Anno roasted potato paste/flavouring, emulsifier, stabilizer (gellan). Contains soy and sesame.
This collaboration product with travel book co-Trip uses black sesame and “annou imo,” a special type of potato with a high sugar content and orange-hued flesh.
• Marusan Co-Trip Brown Sugar Syrup Soymilk Beverage/Marusan ことりっぷ 豆乳飲料 黒蜜きなこ. Ingredients: Soybean (Canadian) (not genetically modified), saccharides (high-fructose corn syrup, fructose, sugar, brown sugar syrup), soy powder, salt, mirin, yeast extract powder/flavouring, stabilizer (thickening polysaccharide). Product contains soy.
This collaboration product with travel book co-Trip is made with Japanese brown sugar syrup called kuromitsu and kinako soy powder and is meant to taste like a traditional dessert.
• Marusan Co-Trip Chestnut and Wasanbon Soymilk Beverage/Marusan ことりっぷ 豆乳飲料 栗と和三盆. Ingredients: Soybean (Canadian) (not genetically modified), saccharides [high-fructose corn syrup, fructose, sugar (wasanbon sugar, brown sugar, brown sugar), fructose], salt, mirin, chestnut powder/flavouring, stabilizer (gellan).
This collaboration product with travel book co-Trip uses chestnuts and traditional wasanbon sugar from Tokushima Prefecture.
• Marusan Unadjusted Organic Soymilk/Marusan 有機豆乳無調整. Ingredients: 100% organic soybeans (non-genetically modified). Photo from website.
Has a soybean solid content of 9%. Uses soybeans from China and America.
• Marusan Soy Premium Unadjusted Soymilk/ソイプレミアム ひとつ上の豆乳 成分無調整. Ingredients: Soybean (domestic) (not genetically modified).
Soybean solid quantity of 11%. 2018 Monde Selection Gold Award winner.
• Otsuka Amazing Soy Premium Yukipirika/スゴイダイズ プレミアム ゆきぴりか. Ingredients: Soybean powder, not genetically modified. Unadjusted soymilk with a refreshing taste. High isoflavone soybean “Yukipirika” is used to create a drink with 100 mg of isoflavones in 200 ml of product.
• Pokka Sapporo Soyafarm Roasted Soybean Flour Soymilk Beverage/ソヤファーム おいしさスッキリ きな粉豆乳飲料. Ingredients: Soybean (American) (not genetically modified), sugar (brown sugar, brown sugar), soybean flour, salt, agar, calcium lactate, cellulose, flavouring, stabilizer (thickening polysaccharide), pH adjusting agent.
This zero-cholesterol beverage uses traditional ingredients kinako powder (roasted soybean flour) and kokuto.
• Provamel Soya with Chocolate Drink. Ingredients: Water, hulled soya beans * (7.8%), raw cane sugar*, fat reduced cocoa* (1.3%), chocolate* (1.1%), sea salt, thickener (locust bean gum), bourbon vanilla extract*
• Provamel Soya with Strawberry Drink. Ingredients: Water, hulled soya beans (7,2%)*, raw cane sugar, natural flavouring, sea salt.
• Provamel Soya Original with Calcium Drink. Ingredients: Water, hulled soyabeans* (9,8%), apple concentrate* (3,3%), algae Lithothamnium calcereum (0,4%), sea salt
* = organically grown/produced
Vegan, organic, gluten-free, wheat-free per Provamel’s website.
Allergy information: Contains soya. Produced in a nut-free production facility.
• Rice Ginger Milk. Ingredients: Rice grain sugar syrup (domestically grown rice, salt), ginger juice (domestically grown ginger), rice germ oil (domestically grown rice), inositol.
• Tsukuba Thick Almond Milk, Plain (no sugar)/ツクバ濃いアーモンドミルク まろやかプレーンー 砂糖不使用. Ingredients: Almonds (from U.S.A.), pH adjuster, thickener(gellan).
• Tsukuba Thick Almond Milk, Aromatic Roasted Fragrance (no sugar) /ツクバ濃いアーモンドミルク～香りばさしのローストー 砂糖不使用. Ingredients: Almonds (from U.S.A.), pH adjuster, thickener(gellan).
• Tsukuba Thick Almond Milk, Lightly Flavored with Brown Sugar/ ツクバ濃いアーモンドミルク～ほんのりの黒糖入り～. Ingredients: Almonds (from U.S.A.), powdered syrup, brown sugar. Additives: pH adjuster, emulsifier, thickener (gellan).
The Soy Banana Smoothie may be vegan, although the ingredient list doesn’t specify the source of the edible fat and oil. It says the MCT oil the product contains includes palm fruit and coconut oil.
• Soy Banana Smoothie/豆乳バナナズムージー. Ingredients: Fruit (banana, apple), organic soybeans (not genetically modified), edible fat and oil, brown sugar, coffee extract, soybean extract/stabilising agent (thickening polysaccharide), emulsifier, flavouring.
Contains 37% fruit juice. Uses Japanese kokuto brown sugar.
• Hokkaido Tokachi Adzuki Ice Bar/北海道十勝あずきアイスバー. Ingredients: Deep sea water (desalted), adzuki beans from Hokkaido, granulated sugar, corn starch, salt.
An adzuki bean ice bar which uses 100% bean paste from Tokachi, Hokkaido. Does not use emulsifier, flavouring, coloring agent, stabilizer.
• Kubota Soda Ice Candy/久保田 ソーダアイスキャンデー. Ingredients: Sugar, starch syrup, salt, acidity regulator, flavouring, stabilising agent, polysaccharide thickener, colouring (spirulina blue).